preparing momos takes quite a great amount of time. so when you have enough time to spare, then make the momos. if you have a helping hand, then the time will lower. however if you do everything by yourself, it takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs, depending on your working speed and the gizmos you have in your cooking area.
now pertaining to momos, i have actually had among the very best momos or call them dim sum in the mainland china dining establishment. at that time i did unknown that momos would end up being a popular street food in north of india. a few years back when we lived in gurgaon, i was impressed to see momos as a street food snack in many places.
when living in goa, a dining establishment simply a few kilometers from our location, specialized just in momos which too various kinds with different stuffings. the owner’s other half was a tibetan and she would prepare the momos. the sauce they utilized to serve with the momos was a spicy, hot sauce and damn good. regrettably, i do not know the dish as i never ever asked the tibetan girl??
so when i made these momos, i needed to serve them with a spicy sauce. i decided to serve the veg momos with schezwan sauce. i do not make a spicy filling for the momos. i keep the vegetable filling balanced in taste and gently spiced, so that it accompanies the spicy & hot sauce effectively. at home we enjoy steamed momos over the fried ones. so this recipe is of steamed momos.
the shaping of the momos come through practice. i do not make momos often. hence clearly, i am not an expert in shaping them. but i do make a good task of it. i have actually shared two ways of forming momos in the step by step photos below. select the simple one or if you are brave, then move on to the making the pleated momos.
i have actually also made a video revealing the rolling of the dough, packing and pleating of the momos. you can check this video listed below, if you can not comprehend the shaping part from the step by step pictures below.
preparing the outer cover of momos:
- take the all function flour/maida, salt and oil in a bowl and mix it.
- add water in parts and knead to a firm dough. cover the dough and keep aside for Thirty Minutes.
for the veg momos stuffing:
- finely slice all the vegetables. you can likewise use a food mill to slice the veggies.
- heat oil. include garlic. saute for 2-3 seconds.
- add onions and saute for 10-15 seconds. include all the finely sliced vegetables.
- increase the flame and stir fry the veggies on high heat.
- when the edges begins getting golden, add soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- continue to stir fry on high heat till the veggies are prepared. takes about 8 to 9 mins on a high flame.
- later on include 1 to 2 tbsp of the spring onions greens and stir fry for a minute.
- examine the taste and add more salt, pepper or soy sauce, if required.
shaping the veg momos:
- divide the dough in two parts. make a 6-7 inch log from each part. cut the log into equal pieces.
- make ball of each piece and keep them covered with a damp napkin.
- take each dough ball and on a lightly dusted board, roll each dough ball into a thin circle of about 2-3 inch diameter.
- attempt to get the edges to be thin and the center to be thick.
- location 1 or 2 tsp of veggie stuffing in the center.
- lift one side of the edge and start pleating. (you can also refer to the video above to see how pleating is done).
- start folding and forming the pleats one by one. to completion, join the pleats in the center.
- prepare all momos this way and keep them covered under a wet napkin. till you are ready to steam them.
- heat water in a cleaner or in an electric cooker or in a pressure cooker. let the water concern a boil.
- in a greased cleaner pan or in idli moulds, put the momos keeping space between them so that they don’t touch each other. * check notes on ways to steam the momos in idli pan or pressure cooker.
- steam momos for 5-6 minutes.
- don’t overdo the steaming, as the dough becomes thick and dry.
- the steaming time might vary upon the density of momos’ cover.
- when you touch the momo then dough should not feel sticky to you. this implies they are done and the momos will have a transparent appearance.
- time of cooking momos varies from strength of the flame and type of pan and the steamer you are utilizing.
- once done, garnish veg momos with spring onion greens.
- serve veggie momos with a spicy sauce like schezwan sauce or tomato-chili sauce or chili sauce. you can also serve it with red chilli garlic chutney. momos go effectively with a spicy sauce.